Is Coconut Oil a Good Ingredient for Facial Cleansers & Why?
Coconut oil is packing a punch not only in the kitchen but in the beauty sector too, and when it comes to skincare it’s become a firm favourite on the ingredients list. But does it deserve its place in a facial cleanser and if so why?
There’s no denying that coconut oil is a super versatile oil to have around and not just if you’re into healthy cooking. It’s been touted for being somewhat of a beauty miracle oil too and can not only help whiten your teeth but keep your skin’s glow too.
It’s cost-effective, hydrating and natural, but is coconut oil a good ingredient to have in your facial cleanser? We say ‘yes’ and here’s why:
What does a cleanser do?
Cleansing is a skincare step that shouldn’t be skipped because it does exactly what its name suggests, it cleanses the skin.
This is important because cleansing rids your complexion of dirt, grime, makeup and bacteria that can clog pores and leave skin looking dull and prone to breakouts.
Many women think they only need to cleanse their skin at night to remove makeup and the day’s dirt, but you should use a cleanser that is gentle enough to wipe away sweat and bacteria, which has built up overnight, from your face in the morning too.
The right cleanser shouldn’t dry your skin out either. Some are loaded with harsh chemicals and alcohol which can irritate and dehydrate your complexion, and these should be avoided, especially if you have sensitive skin.
The right cleanser, such as Lumity’s 4-in-1 cleanser, should leave your skin clean, refresh, hydrated and primed to perfection for the next step in your skincare regime.
What is coconut oil?
Coconut oil comes from the flesh of mature coconuts from a coconut palm tree. It is solid when cold but melts and becomes soft when it’s heated. It is 90% saturated fat and is rich in medium chain fatty acids.
Why coconut oil works as a facial cleanser
- kills bacteria - the fatty acids in coconut oil help protect against harmful microorganisms and block bacteria growth.
- is anti-inflammatory - coconut oil’s anti-inflammatory properties mean it can help with skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis and is great for soothing skin too.
- contains vitamin E - coconut oil helps keep skin smooth and helps stop premature ageing because it contains antioxidant Vitamin E.
- boosts collagen - collagen is the protein which keeps skin supple and elastic. When its supply is depleted wrinkles form. Coconut oil helps boost collagen production meaning fine lines are kept at bay
- hydrates skin - due to the fatty acid content coconut oil is a fantastic hydrating moisturiser, helping ensure your cleanser doesn’t dry your skin out.
- makeup remover - oils attach themselves to dirt and makeup and break down bonds so they make for good makeup removers as well.
What facial cleanser should I use?
With so many beauty products containing coconut oil, it can be difficult to decide which one is best. It’s important to scout out the right one for your skin type too, so sometimes it is about trial and error. But Lumity’s 4-in-1 Cleanse is a next-generation cleanser suitable for all types of skin.
It contains carefully selected host of all-natural ingredients - including coconut oil - to bring out the very best in your complexion.
Not only does it cleanse, it acts as a makeup remover, a gentle exfoliator and a facial mask too.